Advantages for Members
Becoming a member of Sheet Metal Workers Local #33 makes you part of a proud, highly trained group of individuals who look out for each other on and off the job.
The union bargains collectively for all its members – thereby providing a high standard of living, strong wages with regular increases, health care coverage and retirement benefits.
- Union members and employers have the benefit of pooling their resources in order to negotiate better deals for their members and provide better value in terms of quality health care.
- Union contracts establish strict rules about job security and the conditions under which layoffs or reductions in the work force take place.
- Union members are afforded the opportunities to improve and upgrade their skills, and, consequently, their wages and responsibilities, through union-sponsored education and training programs.
- Workers in unionized firms have a clear set of rights which are outlined in detail in their collective bargaining agreements.
- Being union gives workers a voice on the job, and their cumulative voices make them more influential with management than any individual voice.
- Working under a union contract, workers have built-in mechanisms to monitor and even correct the work environment, and to ensure that health and safety concerns are addressed.